Welcome! Here you can read all about my songwriting quest. It follows my adventures in making and finding music that builds community and defies traditional music industry tenets. You can expect to find videos, photos, and musings about music that makes me smile, as well as insight about ways that musicians are skipping the middle men and singing right to the fans. Thanks for coming!

4.09.2010

What's this all about??

So... I'm trying to do something in a way that's kind of the opposite of how you're supposed to do it.

I've got some music.  I like to write songs.  And some people like them.  I like them too, but kind of in the way that I'm wary of turning them into polished pieces.  Everything I've done that gets a polishing seems to sound terrible.  So I'm happy enough with my low-fi's for now.  My favorite ones are the ones I've written with my friend Sia.  He's a pretty kick-ass guitarist and comes up with crazy compositions, and then I write songs on top.  I love our stuff but we're cheap and in different cities, so us relying on crappy mics and email is what we're doing right now.  For a while now I've been slowly, slowly chipping away at this music stuff, and am relatively content with it being a hobby.

HOWEVER, the problem is that every time I go see shows where fabulous women are up on a stage singing and laughing, I get sooo inspired and soooooo jealous (Julieta Venegas, Gillian Welch, Regina Spektor-- I'm talking to YOU!)  So yeah, some times I want to suck it up and make a go of it.  And most of the time I just want to sing my songs and have a few people hear them and like them.

That's where this comes in...

This blog is going to document my online music homemaking.  I'll write about the cool things that I find other people doing, find some fun resources for people in my situation, play some songs for ya, and have an overall good time.  (Oh and I'll try now to get so hung up on finding cool skins for blogger and myspace!!  No promises.)

Here goes nothing...

1 comment: