Welcome! Here you can read all about my songwriting quest. It follows my adventures in making and finding music that builds community and defies traditional music industry tenets. You can expect to find videos, photos, and musings about music that makes me smile, as well as insight about ways that musicians are skipping the middle men and singing right to the fans. Thanks for coming!

4.13.2010

Adventures in YouTube - Pomplamoose

Bands on YouTube.  A few days ago I went in search of what baby bands are doing on YouTube.  There's this model people talk about where you do what bands in bars have always done, start with covers.  You make some videos of you covering songs, post them as responses to other videos that people are watching, and get people to look at your stuff after luring them in with the carrot of something familiar.  That's when they start looking around at your page, and start saying "Hey, they've got their own music?  I wonder what it sounds like?"  I felt pretty genius for knowing this.  And then within ten minutes felt like an idiot for falling for my own secret trick!

Pomplamoose.  It means grapefruit in French.  Ugh.... (and so awesome!)

They do these "videosongs"where they have these super low budget, but really well done videos of the two band members--a couple (GAG... and adorable!!)-- singing and playing their stuff.  They did this indie cover of "Telephone," and they did it really well.  So I was like, "Hey, that's really cool.  I wonder what other stuff they have."  TONS of covers.  And a lot of really good ones.

And then I noticed there was a note to check out their own music on a myspace page.  So I was like, "Hey, that's cool, they've got their own music.  I wonder what it sounds like?"

DOH!

They got me.  Good work, internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment