Welcome! Here you can read all about my songwriting quest. It follows my adventures in making and finding music that builds community and defies traditional music industry tenets. You can expect to find videos, photos, and musings about music that makes me smile, as well as insight about ways that musicians are skipping the middle men and singing right to the fans. Thanks for coming!

5.21.2010

The Bazaar Cafe

I just had a lovely night at The Bazaar Cafe way the hell out there on California at 22nd.  I've been hearing about this place for a long time now.  It's kind of a songwriter's hub/haven in SF.  It seems to have a pretty similar crowd to the Hotel Utah folks, but without amps and mics.  You come to Bazaar to listen.  I was messing around with an iPhone for a few minutes before I felt unbelievably rude.  Not that anyone made me feel that way, the place just commands that kind of presence.  Okay, I'm digressing.  The point is the cute little community these guys seem to have. Super talented and it seems like they hang out... (I promise not to be creepy.)  Here's a picture of the cafe.  So cute!



Actually, I noticed this little group the first time I was at Hotel Utah.  I had been to a few terrible open mics* in SF and then stumbled upon this little place where everyone was really talented.  Even the songs that I didn't like that much were really well done.  And right in the middle of me thinking "Man, these guys are great.  If only they were friends too..."  Some guy gets up and sings one of the host's songs!  He covered a friend's song!  Check, check, and check.  It does exist! Yea!

So here I go... Me. Next Thursday. Bazaar Cafe. 7:30. 

*At Amnesia once--and don't get me wrong, I adore that place!--right after I sang there was a man who came up and made the audience shout out Beatles songs for him to whistle.  He could whistle really well, but he had no idea how any of the songs went.

No comments:

Post a Comment